Aug 24, 2006

What's in a name?

I wasn't really surprised by Pluto's demotion, mainly because it made more sense to me than the alternative, to expand the number of planets in the solar system to twelve (thirteen if you count Barry Bonds' head).

Hey, I'm still for New Horizons. To me, Pluto/Charon as a double Kuiper Belt object with two minor satellites is a lot more interesting than as a planet.

Then again, I'm the type of guy who finds shit like this interesting.

So are the people who are looking for loopholes in the new definition:

...the language of the resolution is flawed. It requires that a planet "has cleared the neighborhood around its orbit." But Earth, Mars, Jupiter and Neptune all have asteroids as neighbors.

So Earth isn't a planet? Holy Belgium, Douglas Adams was right!