Jan 9, 2005

Self-diagnosing on the Internet is fun!

I've noticed an odd thing over the past few months; sometimes, when trying to sleep, my leg would involuntarily twitch. Odd. So, on a whim, I scoped out the net and in a couple of minutes, found the appropriate Yahoo page:

Muscle twitching is the result of minor local muscle contractions or the uncontrollable twitching of a single muscle group served by a single motor nerve fiber or filament.

Muscle twitches are minor and often go unnoticed. Some are common and normal...


Whew, that's a relief.

...while others indicate a neurologic disorder.

Yep, pure relief...no, seriously, until I start tasting colors, I'm not going to worry about it. Far too often, I've gone to the net for [Homer]free medical advice![/Homer] and have gone away convinced I have bronchitis or leprosy or Slovakian urethral phage (trust me, you don't want to know about THAT).

So, what causes this?

* Benign, nonpathologic fasciculations (not caused by disease or disorders)
o Often affect the eyelids, calf, or thumb
o Normal and quite common, often triggered by stress or anxiety


Check.

* A diet deficiency

Check.

* Drug overdose
* Drug side effect (such as diuretics, corticosteroids and estrogens)
* Exercise


No, no, and exerwhat now?

Now, if I can just figure out the talking growth on the sole of my left foot...