Jun 25, 2008

Physically fit office drones? You're shitting me...

My brother got the awesomely outrageous Wii Fit recently, and gives it a thumbs up even though it hurts his body with unaccustomed exercise. When I visit him this weekend, I'll give it a try, although I'll probably turn down the feedback option from Full Metal Jacket Drill Sergeant to 1970's Nonthreatening Leftist Children's Programming Folk Singers.

And it sounds like it's a good thing this is popular in Japan.

It appears that Japan has instituted mandatory obesity checks for employees over(!) 40, with failures resulting in employer fines. The report didn't say whether employees would face retribution if their chubbiness resulted in fines. I'd imagine that'd be SOOOOOO illegal to make your head spin, but I'd imagine this would result in some ostracism or humiliation that would serve as punishment.

I'd like to see this tried in the US, not because it would work (it wouldn't) or because it would even be legal (I'd imagine that obesity discrimination lawsuits would fly immediately), but it would be a chance for all Americans to display that brazen contrarian streak that I love and COMPLETELY understand. There would be no quicker way to drive people to Loaded Steakhouse Burgers than have our government try to force people to exercise.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to make myself a Luther...