Mar 13, 2006

Whaddya know? Moron made a funny!

What surprised me about this joke by President Bush at the recent Gridiron Dinner was that I genuinely found it amusing.

"By the way, when Dick [Cheney] first heard my approval rating was 38 percent, he said, 'What's your secret?' "

That's actually pretty good, and I gotta give Bush credit for that.

Of course, I'd like to think that this jest illustrated the depth of contempt he has for the vice president, for making him work all the time and slapping the X-Box controller out of his hand, and when he said it the thought of such prior humilations made his fresh gin blossoms itch even worse.

And when Cheney laughed, I'd like to think his stomach blossomed into acidic contempt, bringing sharp stinging bile to the top of his throat, as he thought about the hard work he had done in his life profiteering off wars and now he was forced to babysit a dullard as his weakened, necrotic heart ticked away his declining, uncertain days.

I'd like to think these things because, well, I have issues too.